Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kicked in the Head


I believe this is in reference to a story I once told in class about getting kicked in the head during intramural soccer. The gash in my head was serious enough that I went to the emergency room where I was going to get some stitches put in by a doctor in training. I knew right away this was going to be an adventure when I watched him take five minutes to figure out how to get his latex gloves on. I thought about running out the door, but I realized that I needed my head to stop bleeding. When he finally did get his gloves on, he tried to give me the anesthetic. He stuck the syringe in my head and pulled it out. He then peered into my head and said, "Hmm. I'm not sure if that went in. Let me try that again. This process repeated a few more times.

1) Stab
2) Peer in
3) "Hmm, I'm not sure that went in."

Then mercifully the supervisor came in.

Supervisor: "Did you (some medical jargon)?"
Younger Doctor: "Uh, no."
Supervisor: "Did you (different medical jargon)?"
Younger Doctor: "Uh, no."
Supervisor: "Did you (another different medical jargon)?"
Younger Doctor: "Uh, no."

The supervisor then finished the procedure himself. Apparently whatever the young doctor failed to do did not result in any long term brain damage, although some of my students may disagree.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I think I would have immediately complained at the point of him not being to put his latex gloves on. Maybe if you do discover that you have brain damage, you can sue the hospital that treated you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never real concerned about it. I just use the story to explain any of my eccentricities.

    ReplyDelete